My parents recently brought a shuffleboard table. They invested quite a lot into their proper setup and want to take care of it. They wanted some help. They do not know how to take care of it. I was curious how to take care of a shuffleboard table, so I did some research and I found it it’s simpler than I thought.
So what’s a proper shuffleboard maintenance?
- Before each game: You need to apply a shuffleboard silicone spray. This will help you cut down on your use of powdered wax. You also need to add your favorite powdered speed wax on table size and desired degree of difficulty.
- Weekly maintenance: Apply liquid Shuffleboard wax, this prevents dry or dead spots, wait 30 minutes before playing.
- Short term maintenance - you need to keep your tables well covered with shuffleboard sand. By doing this you will keep the puck form directly touching the polymer or polyurethane top.
- Long term maintenance. The shuffleboard needs to be waxed and sprayed. A shuffleboard wax is buffed off like car wax and gives an extra level of protection and fills in the surface to be contacted with the “sand”. This only needs to be done once every few months.
- Glazes and cleaners are used to remove dirt or residue that accumulates over time. When picking out waxes and glazes it’s best to go by the shuffleboard table manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations.
- The maintenance should be tailored to the use of the table.
- Tables intended for commercial use should be cleaned weekly and sprayed daily with silicone spray.
- Use a shuffleboard cleaner/glaze to remove all old powdered wax and shuffleboard silicone build up on your shuffleboard table.
- Buff your table with a cloth or with a shuffleboard wipe.
- Then let stand for 15 minutes before playing.
To keep a proper care of your shuffleboard table another tool that is useful and will keep it clean are shuffleboard covers. Covers are used on tables when they are not in use. This prevents people from misusing the table as a table, like putting their drinks and other non-shuffleboard items on the table.
Proper maintenance of wax on a shuffleboard table is important to maintain the quality of your table surface. The damaged play surface can ruin a game in giving one side an unfair advantage or a slower game. In order to keep your shuffleboard in good care, you need to learn more about shuffleboard wax.
What is a Shuffleboard wax?
Shuffleboard wax is a dry powder material typically made of silicone beads, which is sprinkled on the playing surface of shuffleboard tables. The goal is to decrease friction while allowing shuffleboard pucks to glide smoothly across the surface. You may know it by other names such as cheese, dust, powder, sand, salt, sawdust, speed powder, and more. They are all the same thing. Wax is a powder not a liquid.
How Do You Apply the Shuffleboard Wax on the Table?
There are a few steps you need to follow before you can start the wax application process. First, remove the existing wax using a shuffleboard brush or a soft towel. Then apply a silicone spray across the playing surface in a sweeping motion.
Let it sit for a few minutes and then use a towel to gently buff off the remainder and spread it evenly across the surface. After this, you can spread the shuffleboard wax evenly on the surface of your board.
How much shuffleboard wax should you add to your table?
There is no specific measurement on how much shuffleboard wax you should add to you table. The amount that you add on to the table is dependent on your personal preferences. You can start with a light coating and test your pucks to see what works for you. If the pucks are sliding too fast and falling off the board you can add more wax. If you feel like pucks are unable to slide freely on the surface you can remove excess wax.
How Do You Spread Shuffleboard Wax?
There’s no specific technique to spread shuffleboard wax. After you follow the steps provided in the previous answer, you just need to sprinkle the wax powder evenly and generously across your table surface. Shuffleboard wax comes in containers that allow easy sprinkling and application, so you wouldn’t have too much trouble with this.
How Do You Remove Shuffleboard Wax from a Table?
You need a shuffleboard brush in order to sweep the powder from the table. If that is not available you can use a clean and dry towel. It is important to remove used and old shuffleboard wax.
Can Shuffleboard Powder be reused?
No, it is not advised. It’s possible to use it, but not recommended. When the pucks go over the wax the powdered silicone balls becomes jagged and uneven. If you reuse the wax you risk damaging the playfield. If you have to reuse the wax you should only do it 3-4 times maximum.
How do you clean shuffleboard wax?
Once used shuffleboard wax collects a lot of dirt and impurities. If you are going to reuse it you need to clean it first after you take it out of the gutter. This is quite an involved process. Take an old strainer and a bucket make sure it a strainer with large enough holes that the dirt and impurities can be removed. Place the wax into the trainer and shake back and forth slightly to remove the junk. Once again it is NOT recommended that you reuse shuffleboard wax as you risk damaging your table.
Why is my shuffleboard wax clumping together?
Moisture. Moisture on your table will cause your wax to clump up. If you don’t wait after you spray the right amount of time or dry your table properly you will experience clumping. Also if the stored powdered wax has too much humidity you will also risk clumping.
Why are my shuffleboard pucks plowing through the wax?
This can be caused by clumping but also other reasons such as low quality shuffleboard pucks. Plowing is when your puck creates a plow effect like when a truck goes through the snow and creates a plowed path.